Vitaly Tsvirko was born in Radeevo Village, Buda-Kashalyova District (Gomel Region) on February 14 (February 1 according to the old style), 1913. Vitaly Tsvirko (1913–1993) was professionally educated at the Vitebsk Art College, then at the Moscow State Art Institute. He studied under such masters as Sergei Gerasimov, Georgy Ryazhsky and Pyotr Pokarzhevsky. Vitaly Tsvirko joined the Union of Artists of the BSSR in 1946. Since 1947, he began teaching at the Minsk Art School, then at the Belarusian State Theater and Art Institute (now the Belarusian State Academy of Arts). Vitaly Tsvirko was its rector in 1958–1960. Many of his students became famous painters with their individual and recognizable style in art. They are Leonid Shchemelyov, Dmitry Aleinik, Boris Arakcheev, Nikolai Kazakevich, Georgy Poplavsky, Ivan Rey and others.
Vitaly Tsvirko turned to many genres: interior, portrait, subject-thematic painting and still life. But, landscape became an absolute favorite in his work. The artist revealed himself as a landscape painter truly brightly, powerfully and comprehensively. The painter’s panoramic composition, free brushwork manner, broad and temperamental stroke, rich colours and contrast are the main features in his landscapes. The painter depicts the modest beauty of the Belarusian nature. He fills simple motifs either with a lyrical and poetic sound, or he provides them with the impressive power of epic. He often combines intimacy and epicism on the canvas as an anthem to the native land.
The artist actively exhibited in Belarus and abroad. He was awarded the honorary titles ‘People’s Artist of the BSSR’ (1963) and ‘Laureate of the State Prize of the BSSR’ (1967). He was awarded the Order of Friendship of Peoples and the Francysk Skaryna Medal.
The works of Vitaly Tsvirko are in the National Art Museum of the Republic of Belarus, the National Center for Contemporary Arts of the Republic of Belarus, the Belarusian State Museum of the History of the Great Patriotic War, local history museums of Belarus, the funds of the Belarusian Union of Artists, the State Tretyakov Gallery and in private collections.